I dug this quilt top out from under the ironing table a couple of weeks ago. I actually can't remember when I started this, but it was probably 2-4 years ago. All it needed was borders. But because the pattern was so simple, it needed a pieced border to give more interest. Pieced borders are a pain, because they have to fit exactly. It takes some (fairly) accurate sewing, some fiddling and some calculation to make that work. After playing around in EQ6 for a bit, I settled on hourglass blocks as a good complement to the half-square triangles in the center. The problem was that the half-square triangles were a weird size, 3 and 1/8 inches (why, I have no idea). EQ6 will only go down to quarter-inches in their blocks. So, more calculations. Inner border needs to be thicker than I usually like, half the width of a block, to make the math work out. Count the blocks, dig through fabric stash for greens, yellows, and oranges. Realize that I don't have most of the fabrics in the center of the quilt anymore. Substitute new ones. Cut, cut, cut. Sew, sew, sew.
And here it is. With borders. And you can't even tell that only 3 of the greens in the border are in the center of the quilt, and none of the yellows and oranges are. I call that a win. I got it basted, and now I just need to quilt it.