Sunday, August 26, 2012

Spurgeon's Christmas Quilt

This is Spurgeon's Christmas Quilt. It took about 5 years for me to start this one. I finally finished it this spring and gave it to him. I really like the way it turned out. They hung it on the wall, and his wife told me that she repainted her kitchen so it would go better with the quilt! I hope that the kitchen sort of needed it anyway, since I really hadn't intended to make anyone redecorate for my quilt.

The picture above is of an old project because I haven't really gotten into my quilting groove again. Now that I finished Sara's quilt, I pulled out an old project, but I haven't sewn a stitch. Is this Quilter's Block? I have lots of ideas, but for some reason I can't seem to start anything. So currently my quilting momentum is nil.

I've been looking at books and blogs from the modern quilting movement. I think what interests me most about it is the use of negative space. There doesn't seem to be as much of that in traditional quilts. I think I am also attracted to the irregularity of some modern quilts. Symmetry and repetition, which are so prominent in traditional quilting, can be fascinating and rather soothing; but sometimes things seem to be too regular and predictable, and they become boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment