Saturday, September 24, 2016

How many quilts did you start this month?

I finished a quilt last month and a quilt this month. This scrappy 1/4-log cabin quilt was made for my sister-in-law. I tried out a quilt pattern that looks like puzzle pieces (it looks cool, but it took ages to quilt, and the quilt is so busy that the quilting doesn't even show. I probably should have just done a fast, easy meandering pattern on it instead).

I don't have a picture yet of the other quilt I finished. I am not the kind of quilter that works on one quilt at a time. And so I started 5 quilts this month. Excessive, I know, but one quilt led to another. This fast, simple pattern was made of 5-inch squares. The pattern is called 'Stretched Star' and is in one of the 'Nickel Quilt' books. I started piecing it on my hand-cranked Singer 99 when the electricity was out after Hurricane Hermine. This quilt top is finished.

I also started some pinwheel blocks from the 'Nickel Quilt' book with the box of 5-inch squares that I took up to Atlanta (yes, I sometimes take my sewing machine on vacation). I decided the blocks weren't dark enough, so I added darker sashing. I finished the blocks and am in the process of adding the sashing and sewing the blocks together.

This is what I am calling the Argyle Sweater quilt; it will be a Christmas gift. It is a Bonnie Hunter pattern called 'Oregon or Bust.' It's simple, but I used a lot of fun fabrics and I am really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I finished the blocks but haven't started sewing the sashing on yet and I haven't laid out more than a few blocks at a time, so there is still some mystery about how the final quilt will look.

No comments:

Post a Comment