Saturday, March 28, 2020

Life as we know it

My county is under a stay-at-home directive (city parks are still open and walking in neighborhoods is still permitted, as are essential shopping trips, although the 6-foot rule is in place; no gatherings of more than 10 people and an 11 pm-5 am curfew). I've been working from home for the past week. Most of the other employees in my office are also. At first I thought it might be a good opportunity to take a little leave--maybe only work half-days, and get some good uninterrupted time in on a few work projects that need 3-4 hours straight of good concentration time to make progress. Yeah, not so much. I managed to "only" work 37.5 hours this week (but I am still over my scheduled hours for the month so far), and was on the phone or in various teleconferences several hours every day, so no dedicated project-time. I rotate between a portable laptop desk on casters in my quilt studio and the living room sofa. No time to get to special home projects (everyone on social media seems to be cleaning the attic and/or tearing every shrub out of their yard). No extra quilting time, although I did cut the background diamonds and triangles and get my String Star quilt up on the design wall last weekend (I am not scheduled to work weekends, so I try not to).



I cut the freezer paper foundation patterns in January 2019 and sewed the strings to them over the course of 2019 and early 2020--I got most of them sewn over the holidays and in January of this year. All that is left is the final quit top assembly, since all the blocks have been made. I got 4 rows sewn together last weekend and 4 rows sewn in the evenings during the week.

And no, this hasn't even made a dent in my scrap collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment