Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Spending some time on finishes

I decided my count of unfinished quilt projects has risen as high as it needs to go, so I've been spending the last month or so of quilt time on getting some projects completed.

This one is very, very pink. It is a signature quilt for a sick friend, signed by members of our book club. It is backed with a pink flannel that is very warm.

This small wall-hanging was made with leftover triangles from cutting out diamonds for another quilt.

And this is my problem child. I basted this Tumblers quilt, and it looked great. Then I quilted it and sewed the binding to the front and began blind-stitching the binding to the back of the quilt by hand. When I laid the quilt out to see how it looked, I discovered this:

Argh! I have border wave. I am fairly certain that the problem appeared during quilting. The tight looped design in the center of the quilt appears to have made the quilt shrink up more than usual during quilting, and I didn't quilt it densely enough in the borders to balance out the shrinkage. The uneven shrinkage has given me wavy borders, and it is way noticeable with the binding on. I considered not fixing it, just finishing the binding as-is. But it is so ripply. I am going to try adding some quilting in the borders. It may still not be enough, but I don't want to rip the quilting out of the borders. I can do another sine wave in the inner border and echo the spiral border with gentle scallops. I am hoping I don't need to pull the binding off, but I suspect I will have to. I suspect adding extra quilting will make the ripple worse if I don't re-bind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment