Friday, May 2, 2014
Quilt done, and another in progress
This a background audition for my Road to Florida block, Castillo de San Marcos. It is my own block based on the fort at St. Augustine. I made extras and decided to assemble them into a queen-sized quilt. I thought I was going to use a blue background on it. But sometimes when you play around with different fabrics something unexpected happens, and so...red and purple paisley it is. I got stalled on this project since I was lazy and didn't square up my blocks (without a doubt my LEAST favorite part of the quilting process), so I've had to do some ripping to get everything to line up reasonably well. I will finish the top this weekend (except for the borders; one of them will be pieced, so it will take longer).
I am still deciding if I will put batting in this one or make it into a summer quilt (without batting). I got some wool batting for Christmas last year that I haven't tried out yet, but when you live this far south, for most of the year batting is unnecessary; I switched to a summer quilt last weekend.