Friday, May 2, 2014

Quilt done, and another in progress

"Two Penny Lane" is done and off to a good home. This one sat under the sewing table for a couple of years waiting for me to figure out how to quilt it. The pattern came from one of the Nickel Quilts books. My husband says the colors don't look like mine. There are more pastels than I usually use. I cut up a lot of my fat quarters for this one to get rid of them. I don't buy fat quarters anymore because I realized that I rarely use them. There are some pretty ugly novelty fabrics in this quilt, but you can't tell from here!


This a background audition for my Road to Florida block, Castillo de San Marcos. It is my own block based on the fort at St. Augustine. I made extras and decided to assemble them into a queen-sized quilt. I thought I was going to use a blue background on it. But sometimes when you play around with different fabrics something unexpected happens, and so...red and purple paisley it is. I got stalled on this project since I was lazy and didn't square up my blocks (without a doubt my LEAST favorite part of the quilting process), so I've had to do some ripping to get everything to line up reasonably well. I will finish the top this weekend (except for the borders; one of them will be pieced, so it will take longer).


I am still deciding if I will put batting in this one or make it into a summer quilt (without batting). I got some wool batting for Christmas last year that I haven't tried out yet, but when you live this far south, for most of the year batting is unnecessary; I switched to a summer quilt last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment